There's only so many burgers and hot dogs one person can eat before reaching a stage of cookout fatigue. Luckily, there's the versatile and healthy Hawaiian shish kebob - the underdog of summer barbecues and savior from boredom.
For a sweet Hawaiian shish kebab, it all comes down to the marinade and adding the right blend of pineapple with meats and veggies. The recipe is a cinch, and it's a great way to mix things up at the dinner table. Just be careful with a few fine details.
What you'll need to make a spectacular Hawaiian shish kebab:
- 3 tablespoons soy sauce
- 3 tablespoons brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons rice vinegar
- 1 teaspoon sesame oil
- 1/4 tablespoon ginger
- 1/2 tablespoon fresh garlic, minced
Plan to make two batches of this recipe in order to marinate veggies and chicken separately.
- 10 large cut in half mushrooms
- 1 large onion, cut into large squares
- 2 green bell peppers, cut into chunks
- 1 red bell pepper, cut into chunks
- 1 (20 ounce) can pineapple chunks, drained
- 8 skinless, boneless chicken beast halves, cut into chunks
- In a dish, combine the soy sauce, brown sugar, sherry, sesame oil, ginger and garlic powder and stir. Mix the chicken pieces into the marinade, making sure each piece is coated well. Cover the dish and put into a refrigerator to marinate for two hours.
- After one hour, prepare a second bowl of marinade. Add the mushrooms and pineapple. Cover, and marinate in the refrigerator for an additional hour.
- Preheat the grill to medium-high heat (Note: If you are using bamboo skewers, use this time to soak them in water before putting them on the grill. Coat metal skewers with vegetable oil.)
- Lightly oil the grill grate
- Remove chicken, mushrooms and pineapple from marinade, shaking off any excess liquid. Dispose of the chicken marinade.
- Alternately thread bell peppers, onions, chicken and pineapple onto the skewers and repeat until all ingredients are used.
- Grill skewers for 15 to 20 minutes, turning frequently and brushing on leftover marinade from the vegetables. Chicken juices should run clear when skewers are removed from the grill.
And there you have your tangy, Hawaiian shish kebabs. The mixture of brown sugar and pineapple in the marinade gives the recipe a pleasant sweet flavor and mixes perfectly with the chicken and veggies. Make sure to ask guests how they want their kebabs prepared before marinating. Making vegetarian kebabs from this recipe is simple, and feel free to use any type of veggie that strikes your fancy.
The information in these articles is intended to provide guidance on the proper maintenance and care of systems and appliances in the home. Not all of the topics mentioned are covered by our home warranty or maintenance plans. Please review your home warranty contract carefully to understand your coverage.
- 4 easy fire prevention tips for your home
- Did you know these simple tricks may fix your appliances?
- 3 appliances that can become fire hazards
- How to file a claim through HMS
- Did you know- these 3 common problems could spell disaster for your heating system?
- Baby it's cold outside: How to maintain your heating system
- Did you know: certain foods should never go down your garbage disposal
- 4 reasons to renew your home warranty
- How to get your appliances ready for the holiday season
- Do you need a home warranty?