Since the beginning of July 2014, people across the country have been raising awareness for amyotrophic lateral sclerosis, or ALS, with the "ice bucket challenge." Individuals who are nominated have 24 hours to dump a bucket of ice water over their head, donate a few dollars to ALS research and post a video of their efforts to social media. In return, they get to nominate friends and family to do the same. According to Time magazine, the ice bucket challenge has raised more than $50 million!
ALS is commonly known as Lou Gehrig's disease, as it ended the Hall-of-Famer's baseball career. According to the ALS Association, the disease is neurodegenerative and affects cells in the brain and spinal cord. Individuals with the disease progressively lose their ability to control their muscles. The condition most commonly affects people between the ages of 40 and 70 and affects approximately 300,000 Americans.
Several HMS Home Warranty employees completed the ALS ice bucket challenge, and the company donated $1,000 to the cause. To watch their video and support the effort, visit the HMS Home Warranty Facebook page and "like" the post. You can also view the video on the company's YouTube page.
The information in these articles is intended to provide guidance on the proper maintenance and care of systems and appliances in the home. Not all of the topics mentioned are covered by our home warranty or maintenance plans. Please review your home warranty contract carefully to understand your coverage.
- 4 easy fire prevention tips for your home
- Did you know these simple tricks may fix your appliances?
- 3 appliances that can become fire hazards
- How to file a claim through HMS
- Did you know- these 3 common problems could spell disaster for your heating system?
- Baby it's cold outside: How to maintain your heating system
- Did you know: certain foods should never go down your garbage disposal
- 4 reasons to renew your home warranty
- How to get your appliances ready for the holiday season
- Do you need a home warranty?