If you own a rental property or your family lives in a condominium, you might be wondering if you're eligible for an HMS® Home Warranty. Many people ask about the different types of residences that HMS covers, so here's an overview of the homes that can be protected with a warranty.
Single-family homes, condos and townhouses
HMS warranties are available for all types of single-family residences and can be beneficial to both buyers and sellers. Warranty options include traditional houses, condominiums and townhomes. With an HMS warranty, the systems and appliances in your home will be covered in case of a mechanical problem. All you have to pay is your deductible, and HMS will arrange for the repair or replacement of your broken appliance.*
If you live in a duplex or other multi-family home, your warranty will offer the same coverage, but the eligibility parameters and costs are different than for single-family homes. When you purchase sellers coverage for these types of properties, only the owner-occupied unit is covered. This means that tenant sections will not be protected under the warranty. Once the units have been sold, buyers will then be all covered when the warranty has been paid for.
There are certain circumstances where a mobile home can be protected by an HMS home warranty. First, the home must have been built within 10 years from the effective date of coverage. The mobile residence must be permanently secured and the land needs to be included in the sale. If the home is located in a division operated similar to a condominium, where maintenance is available, it is also eligible for a home warranty.
*See terms, condition and limitations in your home warranty - non-covered charges may apply. The information in these articles is intended to provide guidance on the proper maintenance and care of systems and appliances in the home. Not all of the topics mentioned are covered by our home warranty or maintenance plans. Please review your home warranty contract carefully to understand your coverage.
- 4 easy fire prevention tips for your home
- Did you know these simple tricks may fix your appliances?
- 3 appliances that can become fire hazards
- How to file a claim through HMS
- Did you know- these 3 common problems could spell disaster for your heating system?
- Baby it's cold outside: How to maintain your heating system
- Did you know: certain foods should never go down your garbage disposal
- 4 reasons to renew your home warranty
- How to get your appliances ready for the holiday season
- Do you need a home warranty?