If you're feeling festive this Labor Day, show your American pride with a fun patriotic dessert. Sometimes Internet recipes are overly complicated and yield unimpressive results, but this one is as easy as it is delicious. Follow the instructions below to whip up red, white and blue Rice Krispie treats that the whole family will love. This colorful twist on the classic treat is sure to be a hit at your Labor Day barbecue, and the recipe is so easy that you won't be stressed if you need a double batch.
What you'll need
- 6 cups of Rice Krispies cereal
- One bag of marshmallows, regular or mini
- 3 tablespoons of butter
- Red and blue food coloring
- Cooking spray
- Separate the cereal into three bowls with 2 cups in each. Do the same with the marshmallows. You may need to estimate, but each portion should be approximately 2 cups.
- Combine one portion of marshmallows and 1 tablespoon of butter in a microwavable bowl. Melt the marshmallows in increments of 30 seconds on high, stirring in between each to avoid burning. When the marshmallow mixture is smooth , add it to 2 cups of Rice Krispies.
- Add blue food coloring (between 10 and 20 drops, but you can experiment to find a good hue) to the mixture, and stir until the cereal is well-coated.
- Coat the bottom of a 9-by-13-inch pan with cooking spray and then press your blue layer into the bottom. You may want to put cooking spray on your hands as well, to prevent the mixture from sticking to you.
- Repeat step two with your second portion of marshmallows, butter and cereal. This layer won't get any food coloring, as it's your white layer. Press the mixture on top of the blue layer.
- Repeat step two a final time, and add your red food dye. Press the top layer into the pan.
- Use wax paper to press down on your treats to ensure the layers stick together. Let them cool for about an hour, and then they're good to be cut and served.
You can serve these patriotic sweets on a red, white and blue tray, or package them up individually. Wrap each square in plastic wrap and tie with a festive ribbon! If you're looking for another dessert to supplement your treats, Taste of Home magazine collected 10 great recipes that are perfect for Labor Day.
The information in these articles is intended to provide guidance on the proper maintenance and care of systems and appliances in the home. Not all of the topics mentioned are covered by our home warranty or maintenance plans. Please review your home warranty contract carefully to understand your coverage.
- 4 easy fire prevention tips for your home
- Did you know these simple tricks may fix your appliances?
- 3 appliances that can become fire hazards
- How to file a claim through HMS
- Did you know- these 3 common problems could spell disaster for your heating system?
- Baby it's cold outside: How to maintain your heating system
- Did you know: certain foods should never go down your garbage disposal
- 4 reasons to renew your home warranty
- How to get your appliances ready for the holiday season
- Do you need a home warranty?