beliefs are misguided, according to the Water Quality and Health Council. For instance, in a recent poll, close to three-fourths of individuals said that chlorine, in and of itself, caused their eyes to turn red while they swam. In reality, this phenomenon only happens when people come into the pool and are sweaty. These body oils combine with a group of chemicals called chloramines, producing the red-eye effect. So, how do you stop chloramines from forming? By ensuring your guests have showered. Sure, some may groan or roll their eyes at this request, but it's for the good of your pool - and their eyes. Here are a few other ways you can keep your pool clean all season long: 1. Do a daily spot check. If you live in a heavily wooded area, you're bound to find leaves, caterpillars and a wide variety of other unwelcome guests on the surface of your pool. Using your pool skimmer, toss them out on a daily basis so that it doesn't add up. 2. Give pool a rest. As the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention has pointed out, chlorine, while effective, doesn't kill germs instantaneously. It takes several minutes for it to do its work. But because the body can be carrying germs at any given time, this makes it difficult for chlorine to get a pool as clean as possible. Every couple of weeks or so, when a chlorine treatment needs to be applied, ask that everyone stay out of the pool for a few hours. This will give the chlorine more time to eliminate toxins. 3. Establish cleanliness rules. It goes without saying, but the pool is not a toilet. Ensure that kids know not to urinate while swimming, as this is not only unsanitary, but increases the risk of sickness.
The information in these articles is intended to provide guidance on the proper maintenance and care of systems and appliances in the home. Not all of the topics mentioned are covered by our home warranty or maintenance plans. Please review your home warranty contract carefully to understand your coverage.
- 4 easy fire prevention tips for your home
- Did you know these simple tricks may fix your appliances?
- 3 appliances that can become fire hazards
- How to file a claim through HMS
- Did you know- these 3 common problems could spell disaster for your heating system?
- Baby it's cold outside: How to maintain your heating system
- Did you know: certain foods should never go down your garbage disposal
- 4 reasons to renew your home warranty
- How to get your appliances ready for the holiday season
- Do you need a home warranty?