This Sunday, more than 70 million dads will be honored for all they do for their family by spouses and kids of all ages, as the nation observes Father's Day. And whether it's fixing a leaky faucet, helping their son or daughter with homework, or changing the motor oil in the family car, dads do an awful lot for their loved ones, proving to be the ultimate examples of what means to be of service.
Yet despite all that the patriarch of the family does, dear ol' dad frequently doesn't get a gift from those he's closest to. And when he does, it's often not something he wants, based on polling data.
For those who've admitted to this, the excuse is often that their dad is hard to shop for or already has everything as it is. In reality, there's always something that they don't have that they'll enjoy.
"This year I encourage you to kick it up a notch by putting a little extra thought and effort into giving dad a gift that really connects with his interests," said Katie Linendoll, tech expert and contributor to consumer shopping online resource RetailMeNot.
Here are a handful of ideas that your dad or husband is sure to appreciate:
1. Go for gadgets. The old cliche about men and their toys is true, especially when it comes to technology. Based on survey data, hi-tech gear that dads get amped about include smart high-def TVs, automotive technologies for internet connectivity and wireless sound systems. You may want to think about buying a service contract with these gadgets in the event they're damaged.
2. Dinner at a nice restaurant. Dads are known for saying that they want more quality time with their spouse. Take them at their word, nearly one-third of dads in a poll said that they most wanted to have a great meal at a local restaurant.
3. Help make him a 'grill guru.' It's said that the way to a man's heart is through his stomach, and you'd be hard-pressed to find a dad that doesn't like barbecue, particularly when they're the one cooking up hot dogs, hamburgers and chicken wings. When asked to describe dad in a word or two, 1 in 10 survey respondents said that "grill master" fit perfectly.
With more than 44,000 hardware, men's clothing and sporting goods establishments around the country, there's really no excuse for not getting dad something he'll love this year.
The information in these articles is intended to provide guidance on the proper maintenance and care of systems and appliances in the home. Not all of the topics mentioned are covered by our home warranty or maintenance plans. Please review your home warranty contract carefully to understand your coverage.
- 4 easy fire prevention tips for your home
- Did you know these simple tricks may fix your appliances?
- 3 appliances that can become fire hazards
- How to file a claim through HMS
- Did you know- these 3 common problems could spell disaster for your heating system?
- Baby it's cold outside: How to maintain your heating system
- Did you know: certain foods should never go down your garbage disposal
- 4 reasons to renew your home warranty
- How to get your appliances ready for the holiday season
- Do you need a home warranty?