Most people's New Year's resolutions focus on bettering their health or lifestyles, but why not include a small stipulation that could help the Earth? There are lots of easy changes that you and your family can make to help reduce waste and electricity use. These small green habits can add up over time! Here are a few ideas for eco-friendly resolutions.
1. Use travel mugs
Many Americans grab a cup of coffee (or two) on the way to work, and all those disposable cups end up in the landfill. To make your java addiction a little greener, pick up a few travel mugs this year. Good Housekeeping magazine noted that many coffee shops will actually give you a discount when you bring your own cup.
2. Invest in reusable bags
What do you do with all the plastic grocery bags that you get from the store? Some people reuse them, but the majority just throw them away. Instead of collecting plastic bags this year, purchase some reusable bags. In addition to being eco-friendly, these bags are also sturdier and can carry more items. When you do end up with plastic bags, try to find a retailer that recycles them instead of just tossing them into the trash.
3. Be cognizant of electronics
Most people know that electronics can use up electricity even when they're not being used, but forget to shut them off. Make it part of your resolutions this year to be more cognizant about the electricity you're using. At work, put your computer on sleep mode before you take your lunch break, and shut it down altogether at the end of the day. To cut back on your own electricity bills, plug all the gadgets in your home entertainment system into a power strip and shut it off every night.
The information in these articles is intended to provide guidance on the proper maintenance and care of systems and appliances in the home. Not all of the topics mentioned are covered by our home warranty or maintenance plans. Please review your home warranty contract carefully to understand your coverage.
- 4 easy fire prevention tips for your home
- Did you know these simple tricks may fix your appliances?
- 3 appliances that can become fire hazards
- How to file a claim through HMS
- Did you know- these 3 common problems could spell disaster for your heating system?
- Baby it's cold outside: How to maintain your heating system
- Did you know: certain foods should never go down your garbage disposal
- 4 reasons to renew your home warranty
- How to get your appliances ready for the holiday season
- Do you need a home warranty?